Sunday, February 5, 2012

Princess of the Midnight Ball

General consensus around the book club was that we had reached our depressing literature quota. Like movies, I don't understand why everything produced for an audience needs to highly dramatize real-world events, like we need any more reminders of the dispicability of the human race. But off my soapbox I go because we broke from reading the next critically acclaimed novel to dig through the trenches of young-adult fantasy with Princess of the Midnight Ball. And I'll bet you thought Twilight and those Spooky Snackhouse books were the only young-adult fantasy novels.

It was a welcomed foray into fantasy that I don't always accept because the imagery can get a bit confusing; it's not a genre I read much of or even gravitate towards. Although I did find scenes hard to picture in my largely unimaginative brain, it was overall a lovely story that I think would translate beautifully on the big screen. At least then I wouldn't have to spend energy trying my damnest to picture everything.

Queen Maude died long ago but her legacy and - most importantly - her debts live on. She left behind the world's most beautiful garden with a team hired specifically to maintain it's flourish year-'round. She also left behind a dozen beautiful daughters responsible for paying the debt she was not able to clear.

Unable to bear children of natural means with the King, Queen Maude visits the King of the underworld, King Under Stone, to make him a deal. In return, she is blessed with 12 daughters in a dozen years, but they must dance for him and his courts' entertainment until dawn, never excused even for sickness or fatigue. The original deal has an end-date and, of course, a dark King of the underworld can always be counted on to keep his word.

Naturally, the 12 princess are sworn to secrecy, and enchantments throughout the castle keep anyone from finding out just why the princess' dancing slippers are worn through night after night. That is until a soldier-turned-gardener, seemingly unextraordinary, becomes extraordinary, and finds special ways to find out special secrets.

Aside from being a beautiful tale with equally beautiful imagery, Princess of the Midnight Ball also offers lessons in humanity and the benefit of being humble, nonjudgmental, and tolerant. It's a good lesson in Karma, and how a simple act of subconscious kindness might just save the lives of 12 princess. If I had one critique it is that it's a bit Harry-Potter-ish, which I don't necessarily mind since I'm sleazy for Ron Weasley.

It's a short read and something I wouldn't have minded reading aloud to my toddler. Totally worth hauling around in your tote. Or diaper bag if you just don't want to deal with both.

No comments:

Post a Comment