Monday, January 17, 2022

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE $3.00 gently read

I specifically chose Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple to read during a two-hour flight because if I love anything, it's a good theme. I audibly chuckled my way through the first 90-pages for the duration of the two-hours, then 100 more on the flight back. This is a feisty, whip-smart book that you will no doubt want to know how it ends.

Bernadette is wife to Microsoft genius, Elgie, mother of gifted teen, Bee, and glamorous agoraphobe who is - to put it mildly - freaking out about a promised trip to Antarctica. But while that is definitely weighing heavily on her, most of Bernadette's annoyances come from every day life, as is documented by the trail of emails, faxes (apparently people still do that), and transcripts that piece together the last few months before Bernadette vanishes without a trace. Where'd You Go, Bernadette is an action-packed, hilariously tragic, intelligent, family "dramedy" that suddenly turns into an impossible mystery. It is one of those books that leaves me in awe of accomplished writers.

The writing, though a bit long-winded at times, is intelligent, thorough, and very funny, while the story and characters are expertly plotted. I enjoy a big-hearted tale of a good 'ole social misfit. I am Bernadette; we are all Bernadette. She is Becky Bloomwood with a razor's edge. And while I sing nothing but praises for the bulk of it, this was a potentially phenomenal book that quickly turned into a four-star read with one, non-existent ending. Is there (or going to be) some kind of sequel? Where'd your ending go, Bernadette? I enjoy Bernadette's character, it would be nice to see her story continue. 4/5 on my goodreads profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment