Thursday, January 2, 2014

Let Me Off at the Top (My Classy Life and Other Musings) by Ron Burgandy

I first learned of "Ron Burgandy's" Let Me Off at the Top (My Classy Life and Other Musings) from Jon Stewart and his daily "news" show. Since Will Ferrell did the guest spot as Ron Burgandy, my husband and I wondered if it was a real book, or a real book with just a prop cover. We later stumbled upon it in Barnes and Noble so, nope, it's a real book. Naturally, we bought it and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it was the last book I read of 2013 and the first book I finished in 2014. A little ashamed that it took me so long to finish, though...

Only being 224 pages and filled with complete nonsense, finishing this book was more difficult than I anticipated. The chapter devoted to the history of Mexico was of particular difficulty. Written with the style reminiscent (since I now refuse to read any of her new books) of Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life and Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea, only with far more "San-Diego-means-Whales-Vagina-in-German," moments, but they both share an affinity for exaggerating and making something sound way more interesting than it is.

The "book" begins with his life in a penis-worshipping off-shoot of the Mormon religion in backwoods, we'll-eat-you-for-the-fun-of-it Iowa where he learns to fight to the death as a means to solve every situation. Growing from a womanizing 12-year old, he becomes the default news anchor of the defunked station and rockets to Legendary status. Who am I to judge, maybe there really is such a thing in the news anchor world.

Obviously, this book isn't the least bit entertaining if you haven't seen the movie Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy, or did see it and hated it (how that's possible, I can't even imagine). And since there is very little logic to the structure of the book or even the story, putting it down and coming back a month later wouldn't be the near tragedy as doing that with Game of Thrones. And if there is one thing that powers the book it's that you can't help but read it in Ron Burgandy's voice. In fact, I think that is a must in order to get through the book or it's just way too confusing and ridiculous.

(In case you need a visual aid.)
 
Going in, I didn't expect much so mostly I'm poking fun at a book that is poking fun at everything. I sincerely hope the celebrities lucky enough to grace Ron Burgandy's undercarriage feel privileged and blessed as he is sure they do. But while every sentence that graces your eyes is complete nonsense, a true book-lover appreciates that something like this can't just be slapped together without care. And his spot-on musings of contemporary government are frightfully and hilariously correct so *someone* *somewhere* did actually put some real thought into this.

You'll read it in a weekend, no doubt, and will often find yourself reading parts out-loud to whoever might be near you. And if they can't appreciate good Anchorman, you probably don't want to speak to them anyway. The only thing, Ron Burgandy's "memoir" isn't worth purchasing at full price so I'd wait until it hits the bargain rack, you have a gift card to blow specifically on this book, or you can borrow it from a friend. And, of course, this is one of the few instances where the movie is better than the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment